Coronavirus (COVID-19), an infectious disease caused by a new virus that has not been previously identified in humans, has spread in at least 140 countries. World Health Organization (WHO) declared the status of COVID-19 cases into its highest level as a pandemic, on Wednesday, 11 March 2020.
Based on this situation, YAKKUM Emergency Unit (YEU) takes necessary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 for the safety and health of all staff, communities we are working with and partners, as long as it is considered as pandemic, and carries out necessary precautions with the following principles:
Do No Harm: Take steps not to place staffs, communities and partners at a high level of risk in the implementation of humanitarian programs.
Duty of Care: Take actions to ensure the health and safety of staffs, and reduce the possibility of exposure to the virus or its spread to staffs, communities and other partners.
- Suspending any trips in the country and outside of the country, especially avoiding locations which have been identified with COVID-19 cases and transit areas during long trips.
- Promoting and keeping a distance when socializing; avoiding shaking hands, kissing or hugging and other basic protective measures, such as washing the hands regularly and wearing masks.
- Limiting activities that require the mobilization of large numbers of participants, such as campaigns, conferences, or workshops. When such activities are considered important to do, then consider preventive measures, such as washing hands and wearing masks.
- As a result of restrictions on mass gathering or involvement of large numbers of participants in the implementation of the program, activities such as meetings and training will be rescheduled, while activities which require consultations with the parties will be replaced with limited coordination.
- Applying Healthy Living Habit, such as washing hands with soap or alcohol-based hand rub, consuming healthy food, doing exercise and having adequate rest.
- Should any staff experience initial symptoms of COVID-19 (such as body temperature above 380C, respiratory symptoms, and cough), or have a family member who experiences this symptoms, refrain from coming to office, report to HRD staff at YEU Yogyakarta at 0274-882477 and 0821-3603-0283 (Natalia) and immediately do necessary screening in health care facilities.
- Participate in the dissemination of information on COVID-19 precautions and prevention measures.
For partners from overseas and regions that have been indicated with COVID-19, YEU takes the following actions:
- Suspending any field visit activities, such as audit visit, monitoring, evaluation, and coordination meeting.
- Encouraging coordination, discussion and meeting activities through online channels such as using applications i.e webex, skype and other social media.
To support precaution and prevention of the spread of COVID-19, YEU will provide the following facilities:
- Dissemination of information related to COVID-19 without creating panic and stigma.
- Providing hand washing facilities such as sink with running water and antiseptic soap / hand sanitizers at the head office, Disaster Oasis, and remote offices.
- Providing body temperature inspection and facility (thermometer) at the head office, Disaster Oasis and remote offices.
- Appoint contacts at each working location (head office, Disaster Oasis and remote offices) who will be in charge in coordination with the local health offices.
This Announcement Letter is valid from March 14, 2020, and will be evaluated within the next 14 days, with reference to the COVID-19 Health Protocol. Office activities continue as per usual until there is further information.
We ask for the support of all YEU staff and partners in the precaution and prevention measures for COVID-19. Thank you very much.
Yogyakarta, 14 March 2020,
dr. Sari Mutia Timur, M.Nur